Hello, and welcome to my web page at the University of Notre Dame. I live in Granger, IN, and am married with three sons, one a grad student in computer science at Wisconsin, one a math/physics major at Purdue and one in high school.
Outside of my research and teaching at Notre Dame, which you can read about on the other pages, I cycle through my many hobbies, never devoting enough time to any of them.
- Classical clarinet: At one time I was a serious clarinetist, but now I play only occasionally, and when I can, I upload a video to my Youtube channel at garyhb57.
- I collect and sometimes repair vintage watches. It's difficult to find someone these days who can repair a watch unless it is a very high-end piece and worth the effort.
- I spend a few weekends each summer at local state parks with my family in my 1990 Pace Arrow motorhome. Somehow it still works well enough.
- I enjoy listening to quality stereo music, particularly vinyl LPs. I collect what I can find at flea markets, etc.
- I enjoy Scrabble and Boggle and welcome all comers.
- I walk my dog, Duke.
Interview on blending music with engineering education